Tuesday, October 1

Review: Frozen Secrets by W.S. Greer

This is the first book I have read by W.S. Greer.  I received the book for a book tour for an honest review. After speaking with the tour promoter, I agreed to wait to post this review until after the book tour was over. I am going to be honest here and tell you that I wanted to like this book.  I only read books that interest me and I think I will like.  Occasionally I am wrong. This time I was very wrong. :(

The story started out in 2007.  I young woman is in her professor's office after failing a test. He 'knew' she was there to get some extra special extra credit, just like all the others that had come before her. The short skirt and tight tops said it all. As soon as she sees where he is going with this, she tries to leave, but he grabs her by the head and tells her what's going to happen. Luckily for us, most of the implied sexual assault takes place off page.

The next chapter is present day, we know this by the 2011 BMW 3-series the protagonist is driving.  He shows up at a crime scene late and proceeds to cost out the neighborhood - cars, house, furnishings and even what the wife of the deceased is wearing. Jarrod Granger is rude and acts like a hot shot with his young female rookie partner Misty. He didn't want one like her, but since no one wanted to pair up after some incident that had happened the year before, he is trying to go for the fresh start mindset. This case looks like could tie into 2 others and be the work of a serial killer and Jarrod is champing at the bit to make a name for himself and move up in the world.

I tried to get into this book. I really did.  But Jarrod Granger was the male equivalent of a Mary Sue, with an ego the size of Alaska. In his mind, every woman wanted him because he gave multiple orgasms. He can't keep women from becoming so attached they don't realize they are a one night stand. In a phone conversation he rudely tells a woman she was nothing but a one night stand ho and if she didn't understand that she was pathetic, desperate and lame. He even goes so far to make the comment that he is like any typical black male and loves curvy, pale-skinned women. Say what? Then we got a full page of information on his "guest room"; the special romantic room he brings women back to have sex. After all, they aren't allowed in his private space. Ew? I also endured comments about how he only goes for women who wear at least four inch heels.  He considers anything lower than that disgusting. He calls "big boned" women repulsive and thinks of how he is more fastidious than that. Okay, breath deeply and keep reading.  I was shocked when I read he turns the political news off because he doesn't want to hear any more of John McCain's lies about President Obama and the Benghazi attack. WTF?? I didn't think this was a political novel, why am I getting political commentary?  The final straw came when Jarrod's female Sergeant comes to his house and hits on him, telling him that if he gets back with her, Jarrod could be back on a fast track. Aaaaaannnnddddd I'm done.  Page 75 out of 402 and I was so disgusted I couldn't read anymore. I suppose if I was a young male, I might have been more into this. For obvious reasons this got 1 star and a DNF rating.  Feel free to check it out for yourself; you don't have to take me word for it.
Detective Jarrod Granger is a homicide detective with the Anchorage Police Department, investigating a slew of murders in the city. The killer is stabbing his victims 19 times each, and cutting out their tongues, and he has already struck three times. Detective Granger's own past may get in the way of his present and future, but he and his partner, Detective Misty Lawrence, must trudge through their tumultuous work relationship to track down the killer who has been dubbed The Tongue Snatcher.

Stacey Alexander is a guarded 26 year old unnatural redhead, who is unshakably loyal to her father Vincent. She works day in and day out to take care of Vincent since he has been diagnosed with stage four pancreatic cancer, and she would do anything to keep him safe, even when she meets a detective who is quickly falling for her. But, Stacey and Vincent have a dark secret; one that bonds them together more than any "normal" family. And soon, Stacey will have to choose between protecting the father that she loves, or accepting the love of the detective who is zeroing in on a familiar target.


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon

3 comments:

  1. Oh man. Yeah that would not work for me at all. Whew. And gah I really do not like political anything in my books--unless that's the subject matter. Annoys the heck out of me. Thanks for the heads up. I was thinking hmm I kinda like that cover and I am so a cover shopper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the cover too. It was what first drew me in. Plus it's set in Alaska. I love Alaska stories. It sounded like it would be right up my alley. Ah well, you need the occasional bad review to keep the good ones in perspective I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh Alaska is always fun! One of my favorites is just a short silly romance from Janet Evanovich called Manhunt. I pick it back up every few years for a bit of a giggle.

    That's a good way to look at it. I've had a few not so greats recently. They do make you appreciate the good ones a lot more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top