Saturday, March 2

Review: What a Ghoul Wants by Victoria Laurie

This is the 7th book in the Ghost Hunter Mystery series by Victoria Laurie.  I have been reading Victoria Laurie's books since the second book in her Abby Cooper Psychic Eye series came out.  I will admit that I prefer the Abby Cooper series just a bit more than the Ghost Hunter series, but both series have been on my must read list.

In this story, MJ and the crew are investigating a haunted castle that has been turned into a hotel.  Gillie, her cousin and best friend since childhood has a bad feeling and throws a tantrum about not wanting to get off the plane at the very start of the book.  When they finally get to the castle, their first nights sleep is disturbed by ghostly means followed by a murder and near death of MJ's fellow medium and boyfriend Heath.  All this is topped with the pressure to get good footage for their tv show or it will be cancelled.  This proves to be one of their toughest cases yet.

I hate to admit this, but I am getting really tired of Gilley's whining.  At first it was kind of cute.  But 7 books in, and I can't understand why MJ hasn't booted him in the ass.  And Gopher, the producer of the show has become just a bit to mercenary for my taste.  I am really hoping that with the conclusion of this book, that it will begin to head in a new direction.  Because just like the 3 year old Gilley reminds me of, I am about to put this series into a time out.  

I am giving this book 2 stars on Goodreads.  I really wanted to like it, I just think it is time for the series to either move in another direction or change some characters around.  There were several points in the book, I  felt like, "Gee, didn't I read this already?"  If this series doesn't get a fresh infusion soon, the stagnation may kill it.

Goodreads:
M. J. Holliday has the unusual ability to talk to the dead. But when it comes to a vengeful ghost and a mysterious drowning, this time she may be in over her head…. 

THAT SINKING FEELING 

Kidwella Castle in northern Wales is rumored to be haunted by a deadly ghost—the Grim Widow, who allegedly drowns unsuspecting guests in the castle’s moat. Not long after M. J. and her crew arrive at the castle to film their ghost-hunting cable TV show, Ghoul Getters, two new victims are added to the Widow’s grisly roster. 

Fear ripples through the castle, especially when it’s discovered that the victims may have had help into their watery graves from the land of the living. The local inspector suspects father-son serial killers, but M. J. thinks that theory is all wet. To catch the true culprit she will need to dive deep into the castle’s past and bring some long buried secrets to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top