Wednesday, April 24

Book Tour & Review: Cliffhanger by Amy Saunders

This is the first book in a new series by Amy Saunders called the Belinda and Bennett Mysteries.  As with most books that start a series, we are introduced to the characters and get a start on their back story. 

We are introduced to Belinda and her older-by-1-minute twin brother Kyle, when Belinda returns to the family home in Portside, Rhode Island to open a cupcake boutique and pack up and supervisor the renovation of the family house while her parents are on a tour of Europe. Later that night, during the after-party of their 10 year class reunion, is where Belinda and Bennett meet for the first time. Bennett Tate is the owner of a private security firm handling the after-party.  Bennett is a former police officer, private investigator and has issues with rich women.

While at the party and searching for a restroom, Belinda overhears two former classmates, Jeff and Stellan, talking about the sailing death of one of their mutual friends that happened the summer after graduation.  But Bennett spies her on camera and comes to move her along.  There is a little mutual attraction, but Bennett is wary of socialites and Belinda is concerned about finding out more information about Mark's death. Soon after, Belinda runs into Jeff and he tells her that he needs to talk to her, that there is no one else he can trust.  They make arrangements to meet the next day.  But that meeting never happens, because Jeff is found dead at the bottom of the cliff later that night.  

The officer sent to investigates the death, Jonas Parker, is a former partner of Bennett.  Jonas finds out about Belinda's little excursion and eavesdropping, and enjoys Bennett's unwanted interest in Belinda.  During the investigation, it is revealed that Kyle had a run in with Jeff and is soon arrested for Jeff's murder.  Jonas knows that Belinda may know more than she is saying or even knows that she knows. So Jonas hints to Bennett that he should get closer to Belinda and find out more information about what is going on.  Little do they know that Belinda has decided to investigate this herself, because she doesn't believe that Kyle is a murderer.  As the story progresses and Belinda starts searching for clues, long held secrets are revealed.

This was overall a good book.  There were a couple of spots that I was a little confused and it threw me out of the story.  Like when Kyle is arrested for the murder of Jeff and taken in, then a couple of scenes later he is out and talking with Belinda.  It was never mentioned why he was released.  Was he out on bail or what?  Then occasionally when the POV would change from Belinda to Bennett, the story line would jump and I would be left playing catch up. That said, I really liked the premise.  Belinda may have been a socialite, but her family was close knit and seemed much more down to earth.  It was like, they had money, but it didn't define them.  I could really connect with Belinda.  Also, the plot was fresh and the characters fun.  I really liked Victoria and can't wait to see more of her and Dan.  The romance between Belinda and Bennett is still very young, but you can really see the potential there.  Watching it grow is going to be a joy.  Like I said, overall a good book. 

I am giving this book 3 stars on Goodreads.  The series has great potential and I can't wait to see where it goes.
Making her grand re-entry into Portside, Rhode Island, Belinda Kittridge expected fun, sun, and sugar cookies.

Instead, she gets one jilted lover braced for round two, an old rival on the hunt, and the murder of a former classmate and friend. Even worse, Belinda must return to the events surrounding a tragic sailing accident to set things right.

But new possibilities emerge in the form of security expert Bennett Tate. Between her connections and his know-how, they're bound to catch the killer - and kick the skeletons out of the closet for good.


Book Tour Info: 

Don't forget to check out the other stops on the Book Tour:

April 22 - A Chick Who Reads
April 23 - Mochas, Mysteries and More
April 24 - Musings and Ramblings
April 25 - Melina the Reader
April 26 - Books For Tomorrow
April 27 - According to Squenn


Author Bio:

I've written two mystery novels so far. My first, Dead Locked, is about Imogen Bell who works for a team of underwater archaeologists and ends up embroiled in a deadly treasure hunt. My second mystery, The Jester's Apprentice, is about Philippa, a woman caught between her new husband Edric and his smoky past - and hers.

I've always loved mysteries, even in elementary school. My mother raised me on TV show reruns like Murder, She Wrote, Matlock, and Magnum, P.I, and later I picked up her Agatha Christie addiction.

However, sometimes I just want a hot (but intelligent) guy and a strong woman bantering for pages. Or a gripping action sequence. Or some fun sci-fi/fantasy elements. And sometimes I want it all in the same book. So with mystery as the backbone of my stories, I blend in romance, action, adventure, and soon sci-fi to keep it fresh and exciting.

Why should you take a chance on my books? Well, I write what I'm passionate about, and I'm passionate about people and mysteries. I make my characters passionate too: about each other, about what they're hunting, fixing, or piecing together. Above all, I want my readers to have fun, and leave happy!


Amazon Purchase Link: Cliffhanger


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top