Friday, June 14

Review: Bitter Disenchantment by Shawntelle Madison

This is a novella set in the Coveted Series.  Goodreads numbers it as #0.4, or basically before the main book starts.  I haven't read any other books in the Coveted series yet.  I got this book through Net Gallery.  While browsing their selection, I just really enjoyed the blurb and thought it might be something I might like.

The story opens with Agatha McClure, or Aggie as she is called by her friends, sitting at a bus stop postponing going to her father's penthouse for a mandatory dinner.  She knows that he plans on introducing her to his prospective new mate. Never mind that wolves are supposed to mate for life and her mother is alive and well.  Since Aggie's mother was unable to give him a male heir, her father had finally put her aside and "severed" their bond.  This leave him free to take another mate and try for a son.  As pack leader and a very powerful wolf, Mr. McClure always get what he wants and doesn't seem to mind trampling anyone in the way.  Little does she know that he is also inviting Aggie's new mate, a wolf she has never met before and who has basically bought Aggie.

Having not read any of the other books in the series, I really didn't know where the author was going to go with this.  I mean, obviously from the blurb, this novella is the sidekick of the main character's backstory, but without reading the other I just didn't know what was in store.  Can I just say, WOW?  Aggie is one tough as nails chick. When she finds out that she has to have a baby, "or else". And her mate starts putting restrictions of everything she does right down to what she eats, Aggie doesn't just get mad.  She gets even.  She lets nothing stand in her way.  Learned that from dear ole' dad I am betting.

I really enjoyed reading about her.  I am slightly torn over whether I will enjoy the rest of the series as much since it isn't told through Aggie's POV.  Hopefully I will get to see plenty of Aggie and her kick-ass attitude in the rest of the series. I am giving this a solid 3 stars on Goodreads and adding the rest of the series to my TBR pile.
Werewolf Natalya Stravinsky's outspoken sidekick, Aggie McClure, is featured in this prequel novella. Before Agatha set foot in South Toms River, New Jersey, she had the fight of her life to face. Destined to be the alpha female over her Manhattan pack, Aggie was fully prepared to take on her role until her father arranges a marriage without her consent. She wants out–but the only way is with money–something her new controlling husband won't give her to escape. But such odds never kept a wolf like Aggie down. To sever the twisted tie, she finds herself pitted against raging wood nymphs and backstabbing brownies in an underground supernatural fighting ring. With every victory, the sweet taste of freedom is closer, but her husband isn't willing to let her go that easily. Until the very end, Aggie must fight for the one thing she's never had: a choice.


2 comments:

  1. Ooo always looking for new wolfy tales to read. She sounds fantastic. I love when the heroine is tough light that and doesn't take what everyone forces on her. Hope you enjoy the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, me too. It's on my TBR list... Which is growing every day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top