Wednesday, August 14

Review: Along Came a Spider by Kate SeRine

This is the third book in the Transplanted Tales series by Kate SeRine.  I requested this book through NetGalley not realizing that it was the third book in the series.  I just thought it looked and sounded interesting.  And it was, I do wish that I had gone into this book with having read the previous two books, Red and The Better To See You, but I didn't miss enough to detract from this couple's story.

This story opens with the Beatrice "Trish" Muffet falling through a long, black tunnel from Make Believe and landing in a new place called Here and Now.  Her and other Tales have been snatched away from their lives and "transplanted" into a whole new world.  In the Here and Now, Tales heal fast, live almost immortal lives and get to keep whatever special power or ability they had in Make Believe.

Upon Trish's initial transplant to the Here and Now, she meets Nicky Blue and through her soul gaze, sees into the very heart of Nicky.  He asks her to come with him, but Trish feels that it wouldn't be proper.  So Nicky takes off, while Trish is swept up into the Fairytale Management Authority or FMA.  It will be about a century before their next significant encounter.

When I first started reading this, I wasn't aware of the first two books.  It only became apparent that I was missing part of their back story as I went further into the book.  I think given the chance, I would like to read the first two books, since there are some interactions between this couple in the previous 2 books.  But overall it wasn't enough that I didn't enjoy the book.  I loved the idea of this story and series.  Taking key characters from fairy tales and literary works and making them real is a unique twist.  I loved seeing the interpretation of the characters and who they could become based on their fairytale beginning.  I gave this book 3 stars on Goodreads.  I would probably have gone 4 if I had read the first 2 books, since I love follow up on couples when reading a series.
Along came a spider…

When Trish Muffet is attacked at a grisly crime scene, the last person she expects to come to her rescue is Nicky “Little Boy” Blue. But since walking away from everything two years before, Nicky’s been doling out vigilante justice as “The Spider,” taking on the vicious predators of the night in hopes it’ll lead him to his ultimate target – Vlad Dracula. And he needs Trish’s help.

Although Nicky’s renegade style goes against everything Trish stands for, she’ll do what she must to bring Dracula down. With danger stalking her, Trish knows the only person she can count on is the one man who has the power to leave her breathless. There’s no way she’s letting this spider frighten her away…


2 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds fun. I love twists on old tales like that. And whew the cover. It would have gotten me right away. Just love back shots. Thanks for the heads up Judy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top