Thursday, February 20

Review: The Spider by Jennifer Estep


The Spider is the 10th book in the Elemental Assassins series by Jennifer Estep.  I have been a huge fan of this series since the first book and was thrilled to get the book through Netgalley. Ms Estep has kept me on the edge of my seat through out the series and though many series would be slowing down at this point, that is not the case here.

I will be honest and say that when I saw that this book wasn't really going to be furthering the plot line along, I wasn't expecting much.  Of course I thought, 'Yeah! Another Gin book!' But who seriously wants to read a retrospect at book 10? I figured it to be a filler book, something to give us some background and hold us over until the next installment.  Hoo Boy was I wrong.

This book started out slow, but eventually built into a massive moment of "OMG! I can't believe she did it." My respect for Ms. Estep as an author and storyteller continues to grow. The 10th book is a milestone, and the way that the story is presented, showcasing the the intricacies of the intertwining plots and foreshadowing that went all the way back to book one, blew my mind.

If you haven't had a chance to check out this series, this is NOT the book to start at.  Go start with Spider's Bite, book one, and read the entire series.  You won't be sorry you did. I gave this a solid 5 stars on Goodreads.

How did I end up in a career where I always have blood on my hands? Well, let me tell you a story about an assassin who thought she could do no wrong....

Ten years ago. A blistering hot August night. I remember like it was yesterday. The night I, Gin Blanco, truly became the Spider. Killing people is what I do best, especially now that I've honed my Ice and Stone magic. But back then, I had yet to learn one very important rule: arrogance will get you, every single time.

This particular job seemed simple: murder a crooked building contractor with ties to ruthless Fire elemental Mab Monroe. My mentor, Fletcher Lane, had some misgivings, but I was certain that I had the situation under control . . . right up until I exposed my weaknesses to a merciless opponent who exploited every single one of them. There's a reason assassins aren't supposed to feel anything. Luckily, a knife to the heart can fix that problem, especially when I'm the one wielding it....


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     ARe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top