Sunday, March 16

Audio Review: Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill



My sister has been a big fan of this series for years.  So when I was looking for things to listen to on my commute, and I saw the series, I figured I would give it a try.

We first meet Merit when she is waking up in the back of a limo.  She is wearing a black cocktail dress and Jimmy Choos. She feels groggy and tries hard to remember why she is in the limo wearing clothes that aren't hers.  The last clear memory she has was of walking across campus one night and being attacked by a rogue vampire.  Then someone cradling her and another bite at her neck.  When she feels her neck, it is smooth and shred free.

Merit is taken home to the brownstone she lives in with her best friend and roommate Mallory.  Merit has been gone for three days, during which she has been "changed". Mallory was so worried that she ended up calling Merit's parents to let them know. Merit and her father, Joshua Merit, rarely see eye to eye and Merit plays the black sheep of the family.  She is however, extremely close to her grandfather, Chuck Merit.  He was a cop with the Chicago Police Department for over 30 years before retiring. While she isn't worried overly what her parents will think of the change, Merit is very worried about telling her grandfather. With sarcastic Mallory at her side, Merit will have to learn the ropes of being a Vampire and come to turns with being turned without her consent, even it it saved her life.

I really enjoyed this book.  Cynthia Holloway did a fantastic job of narrating this and bring the voices of Merit, Mallory, Ethan, and assorted others to life. Merit has to learn to accept the changes that have taken place in her life and accept that sometimes your life doesn't always follow the path you thought it would. The by play between Merit and Mallory was fun to listen to.  We should all have a best friend like Mallory in our life.  I think this was a great start to a series and gave it 4 stars.

They killed me. They healed me. They changed me.

Sure, the life of a graduate student wasn't exactly glamorous, but it was mine. I was doing fine until Chicago's vampires announced their existence to the world—and then a rogue vampire attacked me. But he only got a sip before he was scared away by another bloodsucker...and this one decided that the best way to save my life was to make me the walking undead.

Turns out my savior was the master vampire of Cadogan House. Now I've traded sweating over my thesis for learning to fit in at a Hyde Park mansion full of vamps loyal to Ethan "Lord o' the Manor" Sullivan. Of course, as a tall, green-eyed, four-hundred-year-old vampire, he has centuries' worth of charm, but unfortunately he expects my gratitude—and servitude. Right.

But my burgeoning powers (all of a sudden, I'm surprisingly handy with some serious weaponry), an inconvenient sunlight allergy, and Ethan's attitude are the least of my concerns. Someone's still out to get me. Is it the rogue vampire who bit me? A vamp from a rival House? An angry mob bearing torches?

My initiation into Chicago's nightlife may be the first skirmish in a war—and there will be blood.


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Audible

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top