Wednesday, April 30

Review: Dancing with Dragons by Lorenda Christensen

Dancing with Dragons is the second book in the DRACIM series by Lorenda Christensen. The first book, Never Deal with Dragons, I really enjoyed. I hate to say it but I just didn't connect with this book like I did the first.

This book picks up during the end of book 1, but told from the perspective of Carol Jenski, Myrna's best friend, roommate and fashion expert.  During the fighting that went on in Budapest, Carol ended up injured and in the hospital.  She is still recuperating and coming to terms with having half her head shaved due to stitches, when the fall out of the attack on DRACIM in Tulsa brings a reporter to her hospital room.  As it turns out, her boyfriend Richard has placed the blame for the attack squarely on her shoulders and Lord Relobu wants her brought in for "questioning".  With no where to go and no one to turn to, trusting the reporter Daniel Wallent seems to be her only option.

Daniel Wallent is a reporter on the trail of a huge story. He believes that there is a war brewing concerning the now empty Chinese territory. It appears that the Lady Savitiri, the dragon lord of India, Pakistan and Nepal is getting ready to move her troops into China and take over. But he needs definitive proof before it can go to press. And that's where Carol and her dragonspeak abilities come in. Daniel gets Carol to go undercover in Lady Savitiri's headquarters and help him get the proof he needs.

I wanted to like this book.  I really did.  The first one was so good, that when I saw Netgalley had this one, I quickly requested it.  Unfortunately, there were many times that I kept putting the story down and coming back to it days later. There were exciting parts, and the pacing was good. My problem is that I just couldn't connect with Carol. OMG, it felt like all she did was whine, complain and whine some more. Every time she turned around she was needing to be rescued. I don't know who that is supposed to be on the cover, but trust me, its not Carol. Daniel was a great character and getting a chance to check in on Trian and Myrna was nice. Overall I gave this book 3 stars, but I really am hoping for a stronger female protagonist in the next book.
If Carol Jenski knows anything, it's fashion—and it's not in fashion to consort with dragons, even though they've coexisted with humans since World War III. Still, she would never have agreed to take part in a plot against them. Now a dragon lord has called for her head, her boyfriend is MIA and she's been abandoned in a foreign country.

Only reporter Daniel Wallent is on Carol's side...sort of. He offers his assistance if she helps him investigate his latest story. He'll need Carol's language skills to infiltrate in the organization run by one of the most dangerous and secretive dragons in the world.

Escaping one sociopathic dragon's claws only to walk into another's is an insane risk—and so is falling for Daniel. Posing as his blushing—and very affectionate—new bride as cover soon leads to an all-too-real attraction. But fighting off dragons and her desire for Daniel may be more of a challenge than Carol can handle...


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     ARe

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review. Sometimes even when we like a author we can't get into something they write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I just wanted to snatch Myrna up and shake her sometimes. But she stayed true to form throughout and I really dug on Daniel. I will give the next book a read.

      Delete
  2. Oh that just stinks! Always a let down after really loving one to find the next just okay. The heroine sounds like one that would get on my nerves too. Hopefully the next will be back up to snuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not giving up on the series though. The idea is promising and the world building is excellent. I just didn't like this character, though I am sure others will have no problem with her. :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top