Monday, July 28

Quote-Tastic: Friction and Acorns



This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.


Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.

Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.



Thrown for a Curve by Sugar Jamison

“Come on, old boy,” he said to Rufus as he opened his door and grabbed his bakery purchases. “It’s time to go home.”

Rufus bounded from the car and ran full-speed to the front door only to find it wouldn’t open. He looked back at Colin, then sat, his eyes begging to be let in. “I don’t have a key. We’re going to have to knock.”

He whimpered, causing Colin to smile as he knocked. But there was no answer. He knocked again and waited, but no one came to the door. Rufus scratched, but there was still no response. Colin put his hand on the knob and turned, nervousness rising up inside him.

Cherri mentioned to him that she was worried about her gran being alone.

Shit.

The last thing he needed was to walk in and find the old lady in trouble.

“Baba?” He walked in calling to her. He didn’t know her real name. He only had ever referred to her as Baba. “Where are you, darlin’?” He walked farther into the house, sending a silent prayer above that she was okay. “Baba?”

“Who are you? And what the hell are you doing in my house?” Baba wasn’t the little old woman he had pictured. She was robust, tall, with sharp green eyes and silver hair that fell down her back. He just took her in for a moment. Bright pink housecoat, red slippers, and the biggest damn butcher’s knife that he had ever seen.

Bloody fucking hell.

“What are you doing here?” She stepped forward, her huge knife slashing through the air. “Just because I’m old doesn’t mean I can’t kill you.”

“Whoa. Whoa!” He stepped back. She was quick for a woman her age. “Relax, you nutter. I’m Cherri’s friend. I’m just bringing your bloody dog back.”

“Cherri?” She came at him with the knife again and backed him against the door. It was so close to his Adam’s apple, he was afraid to swallow. “What did you do with my pixie? She was supposed to bring Rufus back. Did you hurt her?”

“I dropped her off at work. She asked me to bring the dog back and check on you so she wouldn’t be late,” he said in a rush. “Call her and check. My name is Colin O’Connell. I’m her friend.” Rufus squeezed between them, rubbing his head against Colin’s leg as if to vouch for him. “See, the dog likes me, and look.” He held up the coffee and box of still-warm apple fritters. “I brought you treats. What kind of maniac brings you treats?”

Baba lowered the knife, but only a bit. “It could be a trick. You could have drugged those things so you could have your way with me.” She turned her head to the side and studied him, reminding him very much of Cherri in that moment. “But you are cute so I might allow it. It’s been a long time since I have gotten any friction.”

“Friction?” He shook his head, not sure he understood her thick accent.

“You know friction. You men always go out looking for friction at the discos.”

“You mean action?”

“Yes, yes.” She took the pastries from him and walked away. “Friction. Action. It all means the same. I know who you are, Colin O’Connell. You have seen more panties than Victoria’s Secret. You know all about friction. You stay away from my Cherri or I’ll cut off your acorns.”

“You mean nuts?”

She looked back at him for a moment. “You don’t want to find out. Come to the kitchen and talk to me. I’ll put booze in the coffee. You’ll like it. Maybe if you are nice I’ll let you have your way with me.”

He followed her, a little bewildered, a little amused. He might be crazy but he kind of liked the nutty old woman.



This is the third story in the series and the second full length novel. The first book, Dangerous Curves Ahead, was a 5 star read. The second story was a novella, Have Yourself A Curvy Little Christmas, featured the sister from book 1, and I quite enjoyed it as well. So I was excited to grab this story shortly after it was released. I started it, but got pulled from it and with one thing and another, I *whispering* forgot all about it. So when I was recently cleaning out my reader and stumbled across the story, I pulled it back to the front of the list.

Cherri is a very mature 23 year old woman. Raised by her grandparents after her mother had her and all but left her on their doorstep, we met Cherri in book 1, working in Ellis' shop. Cherri worked in the shop part time, going to school to be an art teacher. Cherri has been the sole caregiver of her elderly grandmother, Baba, ever since her grandfather passed away.  Between school, work, managing her grandmother and being 6 feet tall, it's not like guys have been beating down her door.

Colin is the best friend of Ellis' husband Michael. He has his own shop, repairing and restoring old items, and has somewhat of a playboy reputation. But he's 6 foot 4 with an Irish accent, the women just seem to flock to him.

Ever since the first book, there has been this mutual energy between them. She would flirt and he would ever so carefully deflect. And though Michael warned him off and he denied interest, the underlying tension was there. So I was really glad to see that this book developed that tension and took it to the next level. Colin really did try to be a good guy and kept telling her that he was too old for her, that she was too young for him, but he remained fascinated. Meanwhile, Cherri continued to flirt, never truly believing that he would be interested in her.  Their coming together as a couple was sweet to watch, especially with Baba's antics.

Fair warning, this book turned out to be a tear jerker. I spent most of the last forth of the books with a tissue, but I couldn't put the book down. There was so much growth of the characters in the book, both as a couple and as individuals. At the end, I couldn't help but give the happy sigh.  I happily gave this book 4 stars.

WHEN YOU’RE A big girl

Cherri has often wished she were thin and graceful like a ballerina instead of being a six-foot-tall blonde with curves that require serious caution. Surely a charming Irishman like her new boss Colin, with his throaty brogue and to-die-for bod, would never go for someone like Cherri. Unless maybe he’s looking for the exact opposite of a delicate lass?

There’s more of you to love

When Colin hired Cherri to work in his furniture-restoration shop, he had his eyes, first and foremost, on her artistic talents. But now he can’t help but see Cherri for the lush, spirited beauty that she is…and, soon enough, he finds himself mixing business with pleasure. But Cherri turns out to be more vulnerable than she appears. Is she in need of more than Colin can give? Or could it be that a feeling stronger than lust has him thrown for a curve? ,


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Kobo     ARe

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Relax you nutter. That was awesome. I won book one a while back but haven't gotten to it. It so just got moved up my list. That's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And of course, she has a Ukrainian accent and he has an Irish accent, so there I am, saying the lines out loud, with two (very) bad accents trying to hear it in my head. The scenes between Baba and Colin were quite the hoot.

      Delete
  2. Sugar Jamison write great dialogue. Her Perfect Fit series is really cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does. And I love me some good dialogue.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. She makes it up to him later, teasing him about grating cheese on his abs. I can totally see the scene in my head. *grin*

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Some of her mangling of idioms were priceless.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that;s funny and Baba seems like quite a character. I'll have to try this series,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book 3 is coming out at the end of September I believe. I just got approved for a copy on Netgalley. Whoo Hoo! LOL :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top