Monday, July 21

Quote-Tastic: Riding the Baloney Pony



This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.


Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.

Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.


Marine for Hire by Tawna Fenske


Sam set the baby carriers at the edge of the living room, out of Limpdick’s line of sight. He checked to be sure the boys were still sleeping, then positioned himself in the corner of the room. He stood at ease, thumbs interlaced behind his back.

“You gave up your rights to me and to this family when you walked out on us,” Sheri said. “When you betrayed me.”

Sam tried not to wince as he thought about betrayal. Was he really much better than Jonathan?

“You slept with a stripper, for chrissakes,” Sheri snapped. “In our goddamn marriage bed while I was taking the boys to the doctor for a checkup.”

Okay, maybe he was a little better than Jonathan.

“Surely you’re aware that wasn’t all my fault,” Jonathan replied. “What was I supposed to do? We hadn’t been intimate for weeks, and a man has certain needs.”

“You’re insane!” Sheri yelled. “I gave birth to twins—your children, might I remind you. You’ll have to forgive me if I didn’t hop straight off the delivery table to ride the baloney pony.”



When I saw the cover of this book on Netgalley, I was intrigued; once I read the blurb, I was hooked.  I had no idea that this book had been released with another cover back in February under the Brazen imprint by Entangled publishing.  It wasn't until I was marking it on Goodreads that I even noticed.  Honestly, I like this cover so much better. It was what drew me to read the blurb.

Basically, we have Sam-the-Sexy Marine and Sheri-the-Spitfire Single Mom. MacArthur, Sheri's older brother and Sam's best friend, has asked Sam to play Nanny or Manny, as the case may be, to keep an eye on Sheri.  Sheri's ex-husband has been giving her some trouble lately and big brother wants someone he can trust looking out for her.  Sam has crushed on Sheri since the guys were in college and reluctantly agrees to keep Mac's assignment secret while on leave. But Sheri hates liars: "Lying is the absolute worst thing. Worse than riptides and parking tickets and pubic lice combined."

This book has unexpected funny moments, told from both Sam's and Sheri's perspective.  Although some of the best ones were when Sam was dealing with the twin boys, such as likening changing a diaper to cleaning an automatic weapon. I knew the deception was going to be a critical point between the characters.  I wasn't wrong, but it was wrapped up in a twist that kept this trope fresh and interesting.  Book 2 will be MacArthur's story and I can't wait to see him get his meddling comeuppance.  I enjoyed this and gave it 3 stars.

She thought she’d sworn off military men for good…

Sam Kercher is every inch a wickedly hot Marine. Tall. Sexy. Lethal. When his best friends call in a favor, Sam is forced to face an entirely new line of duty—playing nanny for their newly divorced sister and her squirming seven-month-old twin boys. If Sam can dissemble an M16 in his sleep, diaper duty should be a cakewalk…right?

Unfortunately, Operation Nanny isn’t quite that simple. Sheridan has sworn off overbearing military men, so Sam must protect her from her dirtbag ex without revealing just how much he has in common with her brothers. Or that he’s been ordered not to touch her. Ever. Problem is, Sheri’s one hell of a gorgeous woman, capable of making this hard-bodied marine even harder. And Sam wants her bad.

Protect the girl. Care for the babies. Hide his identity. And keep his hands off. But even the most disciplined Marine has weaknesses...and Sheridan is one Sam might not be able to resist.


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Kobo     ARe

3 comments:

  1. I read that one a long while back and enjoyed it too. Looks like Entangled moved it to a different line though. It was a Brazen one with a greenish cover I think when I read it. Had some good moments for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I went to post my review on Goodreads, I saw that you had done a review on it. It did orginally have the green cover. I really am not found of those tinted covers, they all seem to look the same to me.

      Delete
    2. LOL see and I love those Brazen ones. I don't know why but they totally work for me with the color wash.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top