Friday, July 4

Review: Necessary Force by D.D. Ayres


Necessary Force


K-9 Rescue, Book 0.5
D.D. Ayres



Genre: Romantic Suspense
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks
Date of Publication: July 1, 2014
Number of pages: 100


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN     Kobo     ARe

It was supposed to be a sexy calendar shoot to raise money for K-9 service dogs. Photographer Georgie Flynn never expected to break all her personal rules and jump into bed with one of the hunky men posing. And after their steamy night together, she certainly never expected to see him again…despite their powerful connection.

When she's targeted by a stalker and possible bomber, Georgie finds that her gorgeous one-night stand is the only one who can help.

Brad Lawson, an FBI operative, and his K-9 bomb sniffing partner are assigned to protect the pretty photographer--and this time, he’s determined to keep things professional. He just didn't count on their explosive connection rekindling. But with a deadly threat on the horizon, will he be able to keep his body’s demands in check and complete his mission?

When I saw this cover on Netgalley, I couldn't resist it.  Totally due to that hot blonde on the cover, you know the one giving you that soulful stare. When I saw it was about a K-9 unit, I had to request it. I have been a fan of K-9 teams since Tom Hanks and James Belushi were upstaged by their 4 legged companions.  An though I wish that the dog, Zander had a larger part in the book, I can understand it is a novella and therefore his role was limited.

This book opened with Georgia Flynn, up and coming photojournalist, waking up after a night of mutual seduction with a man whom she believes is a K-9 officer with the fire department. Georgie had gone to do a charity shoot for a friend. All day long Georgie had been taking pictures of hard bodied men and their K-9 companions and been able to be professional. That is until Philip Dexter arrived; then she nearly lost her composure. When he talked her into dinner and she invited him home, she figured that would be the end of it since they were both incredibly busy people, both concentrating fiercely on their careers.  That is until two months later when Georgie came home to find her house broken into and items missing. It wasn't long before the FBI showed up and insisted on bringing in a bomb sniffing unit to check her apartment that she realizes that Philip wasn't exactly who he said he was.  Instead she is introduced to Brad Lawson, and that's when her life begins to flip upside down.

This was a decent novella and introduction to a new series. Two characters who have mutual attraction and former relationship, put into a stressful situation that speeds their connection and trust of one another. Overcoming their rocky start and working around the professional parameters set by him being FBI and her official protector. I do wish that Zander had a larger role, but there is only so much that can be done in a novella. I look forward to reading the next full length book, Irresistible Force, in the series. I gave this 3 stars.

9 comments:

  1. Is it sad that I want to read this book just because there's a dog on the cover? LOL I'm not big on novellas though, so I'll probably tackle the first installment before this one. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all!!! That is what drew me in to start. See, I love novellas. It's a great way to find out if I am going to like an author without committing myself to a full length novel, or if I just have a little bit of time, and I can read it straight through, I feel like I accomplished something.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a decent novella! It caught my eye with the dog on the cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Zander is a cutie. This story was nice and tight. It kept me reading with no interruptions. I have the next book and will be starting it soon. :)

      Delete
  3. that is a gorgeous blonde on the cover ;) too bad he wasn't more part of the story. I like novella's too. If the author get the point of the story across in a short amount of pages, then I'm good. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharonda! I am hoping that since this was a novella with limited wordage that the full length will have more actual K-9 time.

      Delete
  4. Oh that sounds really good Judy! I've never read one about a K9 Unit but gonna have to now. 3s not bad for a novella! Hopefully the K9 aspect will be a bigger part in a full length one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, 3 means I liked it. I will admit that I totally saw a Book Inspired Man Candy moment in this book. Georgie was taking a picture of "Philip's" naked bum as he was stretched out asleep on her bed. Later she had that same pic framed and on her wall. I could actually see the black and white photo on your page. *grin*

      Delete
    2. Bwaha I actually have a man candy that would be perfect for that! There's even a dog in the picture napping next to him. lol

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top