Sunday, January 4

Audio Review: Blood Games by Chloe Neill


Blood Games

Chicagoland Vampires, #10
Chloe Neill


Genre: Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Tantor Audio
Narrator: Sophie Eastlake
Date of Publication: August 5, 2014
Abridged or Unabridged: Unabridged
Length of Production: 10 hrs and 20 mins





Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    Audible   Downpour

While Merit didn't choose to become a vampire or Sentinel of Cadogan House, she vowed to fight for her House and its Master, and she's managed to forge strong alliances with powerful supernaturals across Chicago. But even though Merit has had wild adventures, this may be her deadliest yet.

A killer is stalking Chicago, preying on humans and leaving his victims with magical souvenirs. The CPD hasn't been able to track the assailant, and as the body count rises, the city is running out of options. Vampires and humans aren't on great terms, but murder makes for strange bedfellows. Can Merit find the killer before she becomes a target?
I first listened to the Chicagoland Vampire series back to back, from one straight through to number nine from March through May of last year. By the time I finished the last book, I gave it 5 stars and was super excited.  Then came the big wait for the next book in the series to be released.  It came out in August, but I wasn't able to get my hands on an audio version of it until December, which was when I listened to the book.  I'll admit, I started to wonder if it would be as good as I remembered.  That can sometimes happen when you have a gap between readings. People grow and tastes change, or you get caught up in the moment. So I was a bit hesitant at first.

Yeah, no worries - still as awesome as I remembered. I was finding excuses to be able keep listening. I even missed an Big Bang episode because I was in a "good part". Yep, that's right, Sheldon and the crew took a backseat that night to Merit and Ethan. (Don't worry, I got caught up the next day online ;))

Something really, really big happens in this book.  Something I never saw coming.  Not to brag, but I have a really good imagination and quite often will run various scenarios through my head while reading, guessing at where the author is taking the story.  Never. Saw. It. Coming.  And it changes everything.

I can't even begin to guess where the next book is going to take us, but I can't wait to get my hands on the next book, Dark Debt due out in March.  I am sure that it will take me awhile to get the audio version again, but I will hold out. Sophie Eastlake has done such a tremendous job of bringing the characters to life, that I couldn't imagine this series without her.  5 Un-Freakin-Believable Stars.

2 comments:

  1. Blood Games is the first book I listened to in the CV series. I didn't fall in love with the narrator but I'm going to request Dark Debt on audio from the publisher and give her another shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The series originally had another narrator, Cynthia Halloway, and when the change to Sophie Eastlake happened at book 6, I was super duper angry. But she grew on me and I relearned all the "voices" of the characters.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top