Monday, June 9

Quote-Tastic: The Devil Made Her Buy It



This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.


Everyone is welcome to join in: Readers, Bloggers & Authors.

Just grab the button and link back to Herding Cats and Burning Soup.



Soft Sounds of Pleasure by Eden Connor


"Mrs. Walker! What a surprise! How’s Charlie?"

Lila's head snapped up, and her heart simply stopped. There, behind the register, about to help fold and bag her new lingerie while Lila's salesperson rang up the purchases, stood a former girlfriend of Charlie's.

"As far as I know, he's fine, Ashley. Thanks," she managed to respond. Her heart raced as if she'd been caught stealing the lingerie. Her cheeks burned. Ashley held up the first lacy item before wrapping it carefully in tissue paper. "A gift for my niece," was the first thing that popped into her head to say.

To her relief, Ashley replied she wished her aunt had Lila's taste, and they kept chatting about Charlie and incidents Lila recalled from the time when her son and this pretty young woman had been a couple. She paid and reached to accept the pink and white bag, thinking to make a graceful exit.

"Do you remember the time I begged Charlie into going to my family reunion?" Ashley asked, handing Lila the bag.

Charlie had come home suggesting several different strains of insanity ran through Ashley's family tree. "I remember," Lila said with a chuckle.

Ashley gave Lila a knowing grin. "I'd swear he told my grandmother under stringent cross-examination, he had no female cousins."

Lila looked at the older clerk in exasperation, embarrassed to have been caught lying about such a silly thing. "Okay, I'm busted, but please tell me you have to sign some sort of confidentiality agreement to work here."

"We sure do, sweetie," the older clerk replied. "And I'll make sure Ashley here reads hers again."

Ashley's laughter was unrepentant. She hurried around the counter to give Lila a hug. "I couldn't resist. Charlie always swore he never caught you in a fib." As the young girl squeezed Lila tightly, she whispered, "Good for you, Lila. After what you went through with Charlie's dad, I hope he's a real stud."

Lila held her tongue and finally made it out of the store. Had absolutely everyone speculated about her sex life, or lack of one, once Pete had been paralyzed? Humiliation made her angry. Anger made her defiant. Defiance led her to try on a short, hot pink dress made for a woman twenty years younger that caught her eye in another store window. The Devil made her buy it, and his minions pointed out the matching sandals were on sale, too.


I got this as a free book from the Coffee Time Romance Ebook Store newsletter. It was only as I was mid-read that I realized that I was reading another older woman/younger man book.  I just finished listening to the audiobook version of The Redhead Series by Alice Clayton where the female protagonist was 9 years older than the male. In this book, Lila was 12 years older than Colton, 41 to his 29. Recently there was a post on Facebook discussing a guest post where an author had made her heroine younger by many years in the face of an editors criticism. I can't imagine this story working nearly as well as it did if it weren't for Lila's life experiences, that she could only have gotten through time.  This was a seriously sexy read and I enjoyed it immensely, giving it 4 stars.

When Colton De Marco stumbles onto his fantasy woman sunbathing in the nude, he can’t turn down the chance to make a decade of fantasies about Lila Walker come true.

Lila’s gorgeous, younger mechanic is a welcome distraction from her unpaid bills, her ogre-in-law, and her hurt over those who’ve turned away. Lila can handle their friends-with-benefits arrangement, but when Colton pressures her to attend his nephew’s baseball games, she knows the entire town will be talking. After all, her husband’s only been dead nine months. What’s a lonely widow to do when Colton won’t take no for an answer? Give the town something to talk about, of course.

Little does she know, Colton’s planning to throw a curve ball she won’t see coming.


Available at the following retailers:
Amazon     BN    ARe

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that guest post was on my blog I think! We just had one where the author admitted she made the heroine younger at the editor's insistence and it sparked quite a debate. It generated zero interest on facebook though. Do you have a link to the FB post? Here's the link to my post - http://beasbooknook.blogspot.com/2014/06/giveaway-guest-post-by-mystery-author.html

    And back to the sbuject at hand. :) Lovely scene and I think I'd enjoy this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yeah Bea I totally posted on my FB page about your guest post. I was...kinda ticked over that little part. lol

      Judy--omg I love this. The devil made her buy it. Bwah. And yeah I think his minions whisper to me...often when I'm out. Heh

      Delete
    2. I didn't know who's blog it was on, I just remembered reading one of Anna's FB posts about it. This was a great book and I couldn't beat the price. LOL :)

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top