Sunday, January 6

Review: Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle

It is hard for some to believe that someone who is such a lover of romance, urban fantasy and certain crime procedurals could also be a lover of Cozy Mysteries. For some reason, I always get a funny look when it is found out that I also love those sweet little books that seem to be the exact opposite of these other genres. But I don’t believe that to be true. Let’s face it, most have some romantic aspects to them, though the romance generally spans several books, and they almost always involve the police in some form or fashion. Yes the urban fantasy is a bit of a stretch, but eh, whatever. *g*

I found this series via a review on Cozy Mystery Reviews. They were reviewing one of the latest in the series, book 4, I believe. It has been some time since I have been able to find a new cozy mystery series since our local bookstore went out of business. The hour and half drive to the nearest bookstore means that I do most of my shopping via Amazon. I was thrilled to find this blog and get introduced to some new series.

This first book, Homicide in Hardcover, introduces us to Brooklyn Wainwright. She is a book binder and was raised in a wine making commune near San Francisco, California. I found the subjects interesting and learned so much about the process to repairing classic books. I had one major nitpick about the book. It was page 14 before we learned Brooklyn’s first name and page 23 before we learn her last name. The book was written first person POV, which I don’t mind, but why did it take so long to learn our protagonist’s name?

There were 2 gentlemen introduced to us that could end up as love interests. I am not sure which one I like best yet, as both sound very interesting. I really hope we learn more in future books.

Over all this was a good start to a series and I can’t wait to read more.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top