Sunday, January 6

Review: If Books Could Kill by Kate Carlisle

This is the second book in the Bibliophile Mystery Series.  I enjoyed the first one so much, it was all I could do to get my thoughts down on the first one, so that I could begin it.  I can say, that this one was even better than the first.  It could probably be a stand alone book, but I am a very firm believer in reading series in order.  If I don't, I very rarely go back and read any that I missed, unless I am rereading the entire series start to finish.

This story starts off close to where Homicide in Hardcover left off.  Our favorite bookbinder, Brooklyn Wainwright, is just arrived in Edinburgh for the Book Fair, and doesn't make it through her first day when she finds an ex-boyfriend and current client dead while on a ghost tour.  Needless to say, the police look at her as a prime suspect.  Especially as he was killed using one of her own book binding tools.  Luckily Commander Derek Stone is on hand to help keep her out of police custody long enough for her to figure out who is framing her.  

The supporting cast of characters put in a good showing with Brooklyn's best friend Robin, Brooklyn's Mom & Dad, her arch nemesis Minka and even the shadowy Gabriel.  We learn more about the book binding process, especially in telling forgeries and fakes and how the provenance of a book can add to the value.  There was some history of Edinburgh, Scotland, their historical figures and the their love/hate relationship with the British.  Plus we get a little love triangle action between Brooklyn, Derek and Gabriel   Just a hint, but boy is it sweet to ponder.

Overall, I really liked this book.  I have the second, and can't wait to started on it.  Hopefully the rest of the series will continue to pick up steam and momentum.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top