Sunday, May 19

Geeking Out Sunday: Firefly, Part 2




The term "Geek" has gone through many transformations; from the first use in the early 1900's being associated with carnival sideshow performers, to being synonymous with the term nerd to today's definition of someone who is very knowledgeable, obsessive-like, about a particular subject. These days, Nerd defines someone lacking social skills and still has a negative connotation, while geek is much more social, especially about whatever subject they are passionate about. Let's face it, being a Geek about something has developed a certain cache or panache.

Each Sunday, I am going to share some of my personal Geek with you.  I hope you enjoy.



For my next Geeking Out Sunday I continue with Firefly!



Okay, so a couple of weeks ago, I showed you some pictures all dealing with Firefly.  Today I am going to talk about why I love this show.

I will admit that I missed seeing the show when it was on tv before FOX cancelled it after only 11 episodes.  I wasn't part of the whole bring it back, we miss it revolution.  Firefly never hit my radar until someone lent me the movie Serenity to watch.  It was AMAZING!  I just fell in love with it.  Upon researching it, I found out that it had been a TV show.  So with the wonder that is Netflix, I was able to watch all the episodes for Firefly's first and only season.  Even the ones that never aired.

I can completely understand why people have just fallen in love with the show and by causing such a ruckus were able to influence a studio to make a movie so they could have resolution.  The characters were unique and memorable, the dialogue fresh and the action face paced.  It took the best of 2 different genres and combined them together to make something remarkable, unforgettable and extraordinary.  And seriously, just how often does that happen?


To be honest, I think that by being cancelled early it will remain thus forever.  It won't be tainted by corporate maneuvering, studio sabotage or actor greed.  They can't bow to sponsor pressure and "mainstream" the show to attract a "broader" audience.  We don't have to worry about the story fatigue or inertia.  Firefly will remain a perfect little gem.  And I am happy to just enjoy what it is and will forever be.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top