Monday, July 15

Quote-Tastic: Grand Theft Auto



This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!
Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.











“I’m almost afraid to bring it up again, but how did you get this car?” Jean was an opportunist. I figured he’d won it in a card game and planned to sell it to the merman, or Rene Delachaise had bought it and was paying Jean to deliver it. Although I had to question the judgment of anyone who’d entrust delivery of an expensive sports car to a guy who first died before the Pony Express had been conceived.



“There is an interesting story of how I procured this automobile, Jolie. In taking a morning stroll near my hotel, I took a short route to the square of Andrew Jackson and there I discovered it, behind a building. An individual had left it for the taking.”



Uh-oh. My blood pressure began a steady climb toward stroke level. “What building?”

“My apologies, but I do not remember precisely.” He smiled, closed his eyes, and leaned back as the wind whipped across his face. My own enjoyment of the convertible dived into free-fall.

I groaned. “Some idiot left his keys in the car and you stole it. Oh my God, you’re a freaking pirate. Of course you stole it.” My gullibility sometimes amazed even me. I’d try to think the best of a person and—boom—some reality obvious to everyone else knocked the bejesus out of me. I’d never hear the end of this from Alex.

“I am not a pirate, but a privateer, a simple businessman. How could you think me capable of thievery, Drusilla?” Jean sounded indignant. This from a guy with more than two hundred years’ experience in creative procurement. “VoilĂ ! There it sat, just asking to be taken. Surely no person would leave a key in an automobile if he did not wish it to have a new owner, oui?”

Good Lord. What had I been thinking? What if we were stopped by the parish police? How could I explain driving downriver in a hot convertible with a big, armed Frenchman claiming to be the long-dead Jean Lafitte? I could be a little entrepreneurial in my problem-solving, but my willingness to act outside the rulebook didn’t quite extend to grand theft auto.



Available at the following retailers: 
Amazon     B&N     Sony     Kobo


In this scene, Jean Lafitte had arrived to meet Drusilla and her co-sentinel and FBI agent, Alex to head to a meeting with a local mer group. Drusilla is driving because Jean doesn't have a driver's license, Alex won't let Jean drive it without one and Jean is insisting that he must deliver the corvette to Rene.  


Do you have a book or series that sticks in your head months, even years later?   


Check out some of the other Quote-Tastic Monday picks.

4 comments:

  1. I really need to check out this series. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would definitely be an interesting one to try and explain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it is good. I hear that a 3rd one is being released soon. Better catch up quick. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought so too. Jean Lafitte is such a great character in this series. I can't wait to see more of him.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

back to top